2005-08-27

Kodomo no Omocha

I intentionally left this out of my previous post because of how mad I was about this production.

Now, I am one to give credit where credit is due and as of late FUNimation has put out some very good direct to video releases. While thier handling of the Dragonball property is still questionable and I still object to it, other releases, most notably Fullmetal Alchemist I have been very pleased with.

Kodomo no Omocha, or as they use the colloquialized fan pronounciation of Kodocha for thier licensed version, seems to be a cry back for the days of Dragonball when they were still business partners with Saban (one of the better moves they made was splitting from them). I have to say, my disappointment when I got home and put this disc in, is probably unmeasureable.

Whoever holds contractual rights to TOKIO's song "19ji no News" and TOKIO's namesake (as the lead singer does appear in the first episode) would not allow FUNimation to purchase the rights to replay these scenes in thier North American version, or perhaps, they were asking too much money and FUNimation wasn't willing to spend. On some forums, some members had said this sort of thing was announced, but I had never heard as such nor could I find anything about it in any of the news sites I checked out.

All in all, FUNimation did probably the best they could in the situation and that was to put the second opening theme as the opening theme for the entire series.

FUNimation had another critical error and that was replacing the Japanese logo text with thier own logo and erasing the credit names and writing over them in English. I don't remember either of these transpiring on the Fullmetal Alchemist DVDs. Also, I don't play favorites with this sort of act here - I really perfer the video to be left alone and have a translated credit sheet at the end.

However, as I skimmed through the first episode, most everything else looked in tact.

I'm unsure as to whether or not I will be purchasing another FUNimation release of Kodomo no Omocha; I suppose it all depends on how easily and cheaply I can find an LD complete set. Either that, or I could learn a little bit of video editing and replace the pieces that are missing and I think should be returned.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home